Sunday, January 3, 2010

Who's Judging who?

Many of you know that after being underemployed for 18 months, I am once again doing something better suited for me. During my time of underemployment, I was provided the opportunity to soul search, ask why, doubt, get pissed off, and realign what is important in life. I have a terrific wife who works with some pretty fantastic people. The president of the company gave me a position in which I could make some money, learn some new skills and feel self worth. Although it was way out of my realm and the money was drastically less than what I was used to, it was important for me to do.

Which brings me to one of life's great lessons...that of the golden rule. I went from a white collar position to a blue collar overnight and it was a drastic change for me, not only mentally, but physically. The physical part I could handle - I love to build things and take things apart, fix things and even break things. I thank my dad for showing me the value and use of tools. It was therapeutic to come home physically tired each night.

The mental aspect was what I became very conflicted with and in some instances, it was supported by the way people treated me. Somehow, because I was now wearing a uniform (albeit not that strict in adherence), no longer slacks and a dress shirt, people treated me as if they were better than me, simply because of my appearance. Somehow I became less educated and less refined to those that did not know me. Until engaged in conversation, I was seen as in a "lower class" then they.

I tried not to let if phase me, but it was difficult at times. If you are seen by society as being a certain way, one begins to believe it. I think that most people are good and generous by nature, but there is always a bit of judgment involved. Upbringing, family, friends, situations, and the like are all factors in how we behave and accept others. By no means am I an expert. I am only speaking of personal experience. I slowly began to feel myself sinking into the person that people saw me as...and I let it happen. Until I snapped out of feeling sorry for myself did I realize that I was in control of my environment. Why did I care how people saw me? Honestly, I think we all care about what people think of us. Some hide it better than others.

So, the way out of this environment was to change it. No, I didn't quit. I didn't start wearing different clothes (uniform...remember). I didn't completely fall into self pity because I was now doing something that I thought was lesser of my capabilities. No. What I did was something that I always have done. turned others attitudes around by maintaining a positive, professional attitude, and always looking for ways to improve what needed improvement - and that includes myself.

If people saw me as being the person they perceived, I needed to change that. An opportunity for improvement. I was being judged because I allowed myself to be judged...putting others in command of my environment. Once the control was placed on even ground (or turned around in some instances), life once again became more palatable.

It's such a simple concept and it has been around longer than any of us. The Golden Rule: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". Regardless of who they are, where they came from, what they do or who they know, be kind and respectful to everyone you come in contact with. Surprisingly enough, you will be treated the same. If you don't want to be judged...don't judge others...

No comments:

Post a Comment